Background

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Where'd You Hide The Veggies?

As I was pondering what to make for dinner last night, it came to me like a bolt of lightning. How about a good old fashioned chicken potpie?! However I did not have any of the cream of whatever soup; not that I ever have that anyways because of all the MSG and other fillers in it that are not friendly. I had to find a recipe that would both be easy and yummy. Both BAP and SSP were particularly cranky, so it also had to be something fast to assemble. BAP loves broccoli so had to add that as well. What about cheese...what the heck sure?! BAP and SSP both LOVED it; as did husband and I. I was a little worried about the boys not liking it.

Chicken (Cheddar) Pot Pie

2 pie crusts (either store bought or homemade...I attempted this route)
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 1/3 cups whole milk
2 cups frozen broccoli, cooked just until fork tender
1/2 t onion powder
3/4 t garlic pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked (I sprinkled with my favorite no-salt seasoning on top before baking them at 375 for about 25 minutes - they were still frozen), cubed
1 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 425.
Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour. Pour in milk. Stir until slightly thickened. Add onion powder and garlic pepper. Add cheese and still until mostly melted. Removed from heat. In another bowl toss over cooked broccoli (make sure to remove water). Next toss in cooked chicken.
Roll out one of your pie crusts to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Place in greased dish. Next pour in filling. Top with other crust and seal as desired (crimped or just pinched together as I did.) Cut several 3-4 slits in the top of the crust. Place in preheated oven and bake about 25-35 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling looks hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment