Background

Monday, September 19, 2011

Cold Day Remedy

On Friday it was SO cold (is the 50s considered cold...I guess after being in the 80-90 range). I needed something desperately to warm me up. How about a good old soup that would warm us all up. It was a good idea until it got warm by mid-afternoon. Our house heated and warmed right up to the crockpot as did our tummies at dinner time. Mom often made potato soup when I was living at home. I have attempted many many times but every time failed; it never has tasted the same. Last winter I ran across this easy recipe; I use it as my go-to recipe now.

Potato Soup
adapted from:

1 bag (32oz) frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cups broth (I usually use chicken but veggie would work well too)
1 cup water
3 T flour (or 1 1/2 T cornstarch)
1 cup cold milk
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

Pour potatoes into greased slow cooker. Add onions, broth and water. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours. Combine milk with flour. Stir into mixture (after 6-8 hours has elasped). Turn crockpot on high. Cook 25 minutes until mixture has just thickened. Stir in cheese.
Serve with quesadillas or grilled cheese sandwiches.

Serves about 6 adults. (last time I froze half of the leftovers in a 32-oz yogurt container so I have a great go-to meal when I just don't feel like cooking).

No comments:

Post a Comment