Background

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Must Be The Polish In Me

It must be my Polish Heritage speaking up.  This main dish is absolutely wonderful.  I think I could probably eat the whole pot myself, though I am sure there would be serious gut aches and other unspeakable issues later as an aftermath.  Today is the birthday of a late friend. He taught me how to make golomki (or cabbage rolls in lay man terms).  Another friend of our mentioned that her mom would make this dish.  It is absolutely delicious too.  Enjoy!

Haluski
adapted from: http://kathskustomrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/02/haluski.html

1 medium head of cabbage, shredded as if for coleslaw (its okay to have bigger chunks)
3 medium onions, chopped
1 T garlic salt
6 T butter (make sure it is salted)
6 T bacon drippings
1 lb small pasta, cooked until al dente.
12oz chicken apple sausage, diced up into smallish pieces (my addition for getting protein)

Put cabbage in a crockpot. Top with onions.  Add about 1/2 cup water, butter and bacon drippings. Cook on LOW for about 6 hours.  Then sprinkle with salt...cook another 1 1/2hours.  During the whole cooking process you must stir occasionally (and take a nibble here and there....mmm).  At the end add cooked pasta, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment