Background

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Oh So Hearty...

The other day was very blustery and cold. Perfect weather for soup in my book. BAP and SSP had recently had "green soup" at grandparents' house....and loved it.  I thought I would try and make it here (to see if the result was the same).  I could not have been more wrong. BAP gagged his down and SSP just stared at his (finally had 4 bites after bribing with dessert possibility).  

Split Pea and Sausage Soup
adapted from: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/split-pea-sausage-soup

1 pound Polish sausage, coined and halved
1 pound split peas
8 cups water
1 cup chopped water
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 t salt (omitted, since sausage is salty already)
1/2 t black pepper
2 bay leaves

Place all ingredients in a large soup pot (mine is 3 quart).  Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 2 hours until peas are soft and mushy looking. Stir.  Enjoy with cracker and popcorn as garnishes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I'm just laughing my socks off at your phrasing of "gagged it down"!! You paint a perfect picture!
    ... Possibly it was a "texture" issue ( I have those with some foods LoL) I love "Green" soup, but do run my immersion blender around in the pot of soup after it's cooked to get rid of the lumps. Then just slice your sausage and add it back in. Maybe this would help ... but dessert still sounds like a good idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete