Background

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"Big Gooey Messy Burgers"

If you have ever watched the movie, "It Takes Two" starring MaryKate and Ashley Olsen, you may recall the scene where one of the girls is introduced to sloppy joes for the first time. I thought I would make these for the boys and see how they enjoyed them. As today is the Feast of Saint Joseph...perfect.  Sloppy Joes.  Though I am not doing all the "extra toppings," they are still just as delicious.

Sloppy Burgers
adapted from: http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/sloppy-josephs/46dad322-d103-47b7-a3b2-b81612737afa


1 T bacon fat
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/2 T white vinegar
2 T sugar
3/4 T yellow mustard, prepared
1/2 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1/8 t paprika

Hamburger buns (I used Texas Toast for munchkins and mashed potatoes for me)
Grated cheese, optional
Bacon, optional
Avocado, optional
Fried eggs, optional

In a dutch oven combine bacon grease, onion and ground beef.  Brown. Pour off fat.  Next pour in ketchup, water, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper and paprika.  Serve over top bread/mashed potatoes.  Top with desired toppings.

I made in the Crockpot. I did 2.5pounds ground beef, onion, and 8oz sliced button mushroom browned. Added remaining ingredients along with 1/2 of a 6oz can of tomato paste.  Cooked on LOW for 6hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment