Background

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Taste Of Crispy Airiness

Are you unlike me and like your waffles dense and chewy?  Or do you like them better when they are light, airy, crispy and melt-in-your mouth? Personally I like the latter better!  My boys don't care one way or the other (I don't think) ...unless eating 2-3 whole ones of these count toward something.  I have only ever doubled this recipe.  The other night I had other plans for dinner but as it got closer to dinner-the lazier I got. I mentioned to my father-in-law that I was going to make waffles. He thought it was a great idea (so he did the same thing when he returned home).  Coincidentally today is his birthday, so this recipe is for him!

Waffles of Insane Greatness
adapted from: http://www.annies-eats.com/2010/09/14/waffles-of-insane-greatness/

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t sugar
1/2 cup whole milk (or additional buttermilk)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 t vanilla

In a bowl combine dry ingredients.  In another bowl/measuring cup combine wet ingredients.  Slowly pour wet into dry.  Combine until all are moistened (don't worry you are not looking for a lump-free batter).  Cover and rest 30minutes.  Heat waffle iron. Add amount of batter according to your waffle iron instructions.  To mine I add between 1/3 - 1/2 cup per waffle.  Serve pipping hot and crispy.  If you are making a large batch, put waffles in a warm oven directly on the rack on a rack lined cookie sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment