Background

Thursday, July 4, 2013

As American As Apple Pie

Happy 4th of July!  Growing up I remember eating apple pie for dessert a lot during the summer months.  With an apple orchard outside our back door, it was an easy dessert.  I thought today being Independence day; I would reminisce those old days.  I am making this recipe for friends' get together today.  God bless America!

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
adapted from: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/10/22/buttery-caramel-apple-upside-down-cake/

1 cup butter, softened
1 2/3 cup brown sugar, divided
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t allspice
1 t vanilla
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (DO THIS FIRST)
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour (I did about 2 cups)
1 t baking powder

Generously grease a 9-inch pie plate (I advise putting the pie plate on a parchment lined cookie sheet to hold the overflow).  In a small saucepan, melt one stick of butter over low heat.  When it begins to bubble add 2/3 cup brown sugar.  Stir until smooth add spices and vanilla. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat.  Cool slightly (1minute).  Pour caramel into pie plate.  Top with sliced apples.  Set aside.  Using a hand mixer (I used my food processor).  Cream together butter and remaining sugar.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Beat in milk.  Stir in flour and baking powder.  Pour batter over apple/caramel mixture.  Bake 45-50minutes at 325.  Cool about 7-10 minutes on a wire rack.   Invert onto a serving dish.  Slice and serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment