Background

Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Twist (on Calzone) Made With Love

Today is my brother's birthday (he is no longer a teenager - 20years old).  For a birthday gift I am in charge of making him his birthday dinner.  He loves stromboli (a rolled up version of calzone pizza); yumyum.  I hope this recipe satisfies his Italian craving.  So easy and simple; not to mention tasty too. I love you, (Big) Little Brother!  Blessings on your birthday!

Stromboli
adapted from: http://www.laurenslatest.com/how-to-make-stromboli/

pizza dough (this is my favorite recipe)
1/2 cup pizza sauce (again my favorite recipe - about 1/3 to 1/2 the recipe)
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
9 slices salami
7 slices deli ham
1 egg, beaten
Italian seasoning & Parmesan
extra sauce for dunking cooked Stromoli slices in

Preheat oven to 500.  Line cookie sheet with parchment; grease it too.  Roll out pizza dough to super thin. Spread sauce on pizza crust. Top with meats and cheese.  Roll up jelly-roll style (sealing edges with beaten egg).  Brush with additional egg.  Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan.  Bake 8-10minutes until bubbly.  Cool about 7-10 minutes before slicing.

NOTE: I will add pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushrooms, peppers and onions too. Scatter with toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment