Background

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dump & Run (Sorta)

On Tuesday I had all these great plans (hoping to be out all day).  However with the boys refusing to taking a nap after lunch, we did not get to the library, a walk or  park.  Instead I dealt with the munchkins throwing the CLEAN towels in the FULL bath tub (note: Charmisa towels soak up water REALLY well).  I really dislike doing laundry every day (I would rather do it every 2 or 3).  However since having kids it has been EVERY day.  It is kinda funny since my friend and I were reminiscing  how much easier it was to do laundry before kids (either as singles or just married).  Back to the idea of being gone I thought I would make really easy dinner that I could just dump in the crockpot and ignore (then in the last hour or so add just a few more ingredients).  Even though we did not get out I am glad that I made dinner easy for myself.

Chicken & Dumplings
adapted from: http://www.thismomsheart.com/2012/06/easy-homemade-slow-cooker-chicken-and.html

Soup
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 7 tenders) - season with salt & pepper
4 cups chicken broth (if using boullion powder-add a bit more than called for, for 4 cups liquid)
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I used this)
1 cup white cooking wine
1 onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped (optional, THANK GOODNESS)
1 garlic clove,  roughly minced
1 T milk/cream mixed with 1 t cornstarch
Dumplings
3 cups flour
1/8 cup (or 2T) baking powder
1 cup milk (I used 1/2-n-1/2)
8 T melted butter (I used salted)

Dump all soup ingredients (except cream-cornstarch slurry) in a greased crockpot. Cover. Cook on low 8 hours. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir. Let rest while mixing together dumplings.  For dumplings mix all  ingredients together in a bowl.  Just mix until combined.  Drop by 1 1/2 Tablespoonfuls into cooked soup (let them submerge & POP up) - will make about a bakers' dozen worth.  Cover and cook at least 45minutes. (at this point it is crucial do not peak!)

No comments:

Post a Comment