Background

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Better Than I Remember

I love the combination of chicken, broccoli and cheese (over rice).  This casserole is such comfort food. I found the perfect recipe (that I could eat every day - well, maybe not Fridays, since we are asked to abstain from meat).  I loved this recipe growing up and I love it even now (that I found the perfect one). The munchkins even ate gobbled this up - it may have been because of the goldfish crackers I used as a topping.

Not My Mama's Chicken Divan
adapted from: http://honestcooking.com/2012/07/12/not-my-mamas-chicken-divan/

4 (12oz) frozen steamable bag of broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (seasoned with roasted garlic seasoning)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup white cooking wine or chicken broth
1 t Worchestershire sauce
1 (10.75oz) can cream of something soup or this
1 T lemon juice
1 cup (closer to 2 1/2 cups) cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup goldfish crackers

Cook broccoli and cauliflower according to directions on the package.  Dump in a large bowl.  Stir in cooked chicken.  In another bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, wine, Worcestershire sauce, soup and lemon juice.  Mix well.  Dump sauce-y mixture to chicken and veggie bowl.  Stir in all but about 1/4 cup cheese.  Mix well.  Spread in a well greased 9x13 pan.   Dump chicken contents in pan.  Spread out evenly.  Top with remaining cheese and goldfish crackers.  Bake at 400 until hot and bubbly (about 30-45minutes).  Serve over hot steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment