Background

Friday, January 25, 2013

All Together Now...1,2,3 Go

Typically I cannot stand it when my food gets mixed all together on my plate. I am not one of those insane people (sorry, not meaning to offend anyone) who mixes my peas and carrots with my mashed potatoes.  Though my husband loves doing this, I do not.  The only dish worth getting mixed (in my opinion) is taco salad.  Well it was until I made this dish.  It was so good and comforting...I hope you find it the same. (Note: I doubled this recipe but did NOT double the meat - I write as I found it, except for the adjustments I thought were necessary.)

Taco Beef & Taters
adapted from: http://www.food.com/recipe/seriously-comforting-ground-beef-and-taters-casserole-201218

Meat
3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced super thin
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped (omitted)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 recipe taco seasoning (put about 1 t aside)
1 cup water

Cheese Sauce
2 T butter
2 T flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups Mexican shredded cheese

Topping
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
remaining teaspoon of taco seasoning

Brown ground beef in a large skillet; cooking onion and celery with it.  Drain off fat...very important. Return to pan and stir in taco seasoning and water.  Simmerl for about 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
For cheese sauce melt the butter in a medium saucepan.  Stir in flour until not lumpy. Gradually add milk. Stir until you get it to sauce consistency.  Stir in cheese. Remove from heat.
Grease a 9x13 pan.  Layer 1/2 the meat and 1/2 the potatoes.  Repeat. Next pour the sauce over all.  Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 1 1/2 hours.  During the last half an hour. Top with remaining cheese and seasoning.  Keep foil off so it browns.  Serve with salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment