Background

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Seasonings Simple and Cheap (vs Store Bought)

If you like experimenting in the kitchen like I do, you appreciate that you can 'try' a seasoning without getting a big jar (just to find out it is not one that you enjoy). I often try and buy my seasonings in the bulk and then come up with my own spice blend. In high school I made up my own recipe for Taco Seasoning (I like it A LOT better than the stuff in the little packets). However I found my favorite Italian Seasoning substitute online. Another awesome one. Plus with making up your own seasoning mix you can adjust your personal preferences rather than being laden with all the sodium and preservatives that are in the pre-packaged mixes.

Taco Seasoning (enough for 1/2 to 1 pound of meat)

1 T chili powder
2 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/2 t dried oregano/Italian seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 t salt (if desired)
1 pinch cayenne pepper (if desired)
1 pinch chipolte powder (if desired)

Brown and drain meat. Return to pan. Add seasonings along with 2/3 cup water. Stir, bring to a boil and simmer until liquid is evaporated.


Italian Seasoning 1 t mix = 1 t from store-bought jar

3 T dried basil
3 T dried oregano
3 T dried parsley (I use dried spinach)
1 T dried carrot
1 T garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 t dried thyme
1 t dried rosemary (I omit OF COURSE)
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t red pepper flakes

Mix together.

No comments:

Post a Comment