Background

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Perfection...The Love Of Spiciness (Of Gingerbread)

The smell of gingerbread is so Christmas-y. I love the smell.  These muffins intrigued me.  I wanted to make them in muffin tins so I had to look up a similar recipe that required a muffin tin (I did not want to have to go to the store to get any specialty pans.  I think and hope this recipe satisfies just as much.

Gingerbread Muffins with Lemon Glaze
adapted from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gingerbread-Muffins-with-Lemon-Glaze-104480
& http://beautifulmess46.blogspot.com/2012/12/twd-gingerbread-baby-cakes.html

Muffins
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 t baking soda
1 T + 1/2 t ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
1/8 t ground cloves
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 T sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup molasses
1 1/3 cups cold water

Lemon Glaze
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
5 T fresh lemon juice

whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly butter muffin cups.  Whisk together flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl.  Add eggs and beat well.  Add molasses; combine well.  Add half of dry ingredients; stir thoroughly.  Add other half and combine well again.  Gradually add water.  Divide batter evenly between 16 muffin cups.  Bake about 25 minutes until tester comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes.  Remove from pans and. place over foil.  For glaze combine lemon juice and powdered sugar.  Drizzle warm muffins with lemon glaze (about 1 T each).  Top with whipped cream.

NOTE: I made these into 2-9inch cake pans.  Baked for 30minutes until knife came out clean. For the glaze, I used  this recipe, since I was out of powdered sugar.  I put between the layers and on top.  It was perfect

No comments:

Post a Comment