Background

Monday, December 10, 2012

Ode To Lovely Green Soup

BAP and SSP love their broccoli.  The other night I thought I would make them a special treat of broccoli cheese soup.  mmm....I hope they enjoy it as much as husband and I do.  It is a great treat on (verge of) winter soup.  I thought I would try my hand at making beer cheese bread too.  Hope the two go well together.

Broccoli Cheese Soup
adapted from: Southern Lady Magazine

6 T butter
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup chopped carrot (I used 1/2 cup grated)
1/4 cup flour (or 2 T cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water)
4 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable)
2 cups heavy whipping cream (I used 1 cup 1/2-n-1/2 & 2 cups 2% milk)
1 (12oz) bag broccoli florets (I used a bit more)
2 (8oz) blocks fontina cheese, shredded (omitted)
1 (5.2oz) package Boursin cheese
1 t pepper
3/4 t salt
1/4 t ground red pepper

In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and carrot; cook until softened (about 5-7minutes.  Pour in chicken stock and cream, stirring until smooth.  Simmer.  Cook on medium low for about 15-20 minutes to thicken.  Add broccoli; cook an additional 15-20 minutes.  Reduce heat again and add seasonings and cheese.  Stir until melted.

Honey Beer Bread
adapted from: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/honey-beer-bread/

3 cups flour
2 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
2 T honey (or agave nectar)
1 (12oz) beer (I used Costco's German Lager)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9x5x3 loaf pan.  In a large bowl combine all ingredients (it will be easier if the honey has been microwaved for a few seconds before combining).  I added about 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese.  Pour 2 T melted butter into the bottom of the pan.  Add batter.  Top with remaining butter.  Bake for about 60 minutes.  (just until knife comes out clean.) Put leftover bread in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment