Background

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Road Kill Special

Oh don't you love the look of that tasty morsel found on the side of the highway.  During this time of year (espcially late summer and fall going into winter), these specimens always look very yummy. I remember when I was younger Mom would make meatballs with porcupine quills (just kidding, not exactly quills but rice).  I have fond memories of this dish....mmm.  I recently re-discovered a very similar recipe in one of my cookbooks. I was ecstatic. BAP and SSP loved it. BAP proclaimed that 'These are the best in the wide world."  Melted my heart.  Serve over a bed of noodles and garlic bread (salad and/or steamed broccoli are good too).

Porcupine Meatballs
adapted from: Readers Digest Quick Thrifty Meals

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup UNcooked rice
1/4 cup chopped white onion
1 t minced garlic
2 t Italian seasoning
1 - 24oz can Pasta sauce (I use Hunt's variety)
1 cup water
Olive oil

Mix ground beef, rice, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning in a large bowl.  Form into 12 meatballs.  In a dutch oven heat olive oil.  Slowly add meatballs one at a time; brown (turning once).  Add pasta sauce and water.  Bring to a small simmer/boil.  Cover and cook for about 20minutes (perfect amount of time to boil your pasta).

No comments:

Post a Comment