Background

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mexican Overload

Have I told you much we I love Mexican food? I think I could eat 24/7/365 if I had no choice.  I hope hubby does not mind but we are have Mexican food or flavors nearly every night this week.  Recently I tried a carnitas recipe...just fell in love all over again.  The marinade for the fajitas I have had for awhile but thought I better share.  These recipes are awesome...please try.  Your taste buds will be dancing a new jig.

Crock Pot Beef Carnitas Tacos
adapted slightly from: http://www.eatliverun.com/crock-pot-beef-carnitas-tacos/

2 lbs flank steak
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 (each) green and red bell peppers, sliced (I used a bag of frozen sliced peppers)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (I just used 12 smaller slices from the pickled jalapeno jar)

Tortillas
Avocado (or guacamole)
Salsa
Cheese
Lettuce


Spice rub to rub all over meat before cooking
2 t chili powder
1 t cumin
1/4 t onion powder (did not have)
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t cayenne
1 t salt (omitted)
1/2 t pepper
Combine spices. Rub meat all over (top and bottom).  Place in greased crock pot.  Place onion and peppers on top.  Cook on low for about 8 hours (I did closer to 8.5). Shred then return to crock pot (if removed, not necessary). Then high for 30 minutes.  Top with your favorite taco toppings.


Favorite Fajita Marinade
adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fajita-marinade-i

1/4 cup lime juice (lemon works in pinch)
1/3 cup water
2 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 t soy sauce
1 t salt (usually I omit)
1/2 t liquid smoke flavoring (or about 1 t smoke seasoning - I love mesquite)
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t pepper

Combine all marinade ingredients.  Pour over 2 pounds of desired meat (works really well for chicken).  I slice the chicken up into bite size chunks before pour marinade over.  Let marinade in a plastic container or zip bag at LEAST 2 hours.  Last night I put in and am trying it tonight for 24hour marinade.  When ready to cook dump all ingredients in a large skillet.  Cook until meat is done. During the last 5 minutes, add sliced peppers and onions.  Top with taco ingredients and tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment