Background

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pie...Oh Sweetie Pie

Oh how I adore pie, especially with fresh fruit. However crimping all those edges is hard work.  Several years ago I had the opportunity to have a crostata (piepan-less pie) at my grandparents' house.  It was so good (and looked so easy to make).  I asked Grandma for the recipe; I am very glad I did.

Grandma D's Crostata

3 cups fresh fruit (I have even done mixed fruits, ie strawberry rhubarb)
3 T white sugar
3 T cornstarch
favorite pie crust
egg mixed together with water
slightly more sugar

Roll out pie crust as you would for a pie in a bed of flour.  Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Preheat oven to 375.  Mix fruit, sugar and cornstarch together (remove excess liquid).  Place in the middle of the pie crust.  Fold edges over to roughly cover (not completely)-just edges by about 2-3 inches.  Brush with egg/water mixture.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 25-35 minutes until edges are getting golden brown.



No comments:

Post a Comment