Background

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Red, White & Bleu

Reecently I made some pita sandwiches.  Having the pocket bread brought make many childhood memories.  I remember Mom making fresh pitas when we were little and stuffing them with any/every kind of sandwich filling.  It was such a fun treat.  I really wanted to make my own breads but since my oven is out of commission ("Give it a year, Dear." according to my husband).  However I was able to find very similar ones at the grocery store.

Smoky Bacon and Blue Cheese Chicken Salad Pitas
adapted from: Cooking Light May 2004

3/4 cup plain fat free yogurt
1/4 cup (1 oz) crumbled bleu cheese
2 T light mayo
1/2 t black pepper
Mix all together to make dressing (or just 3/4 cup store bought bleu cheese dressing...I cheated here).  Store in fridge until ready to use.

3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (approximately one large breast)
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chipped
4 (6in) whole wheat pitas, cut in half - so it forms 2 pockets (may be called pocket bread)

Add lettuce, chicken, bacon and tomatoes to a large bowl.  Stir in dressing to just coat.  Stuff about 1/2 cup mixture into each pita pocket.  Serve.

1 comment:

  1. Oh these sound so yummy!!
    ... And since you mentioned you are out-of-luck with an oven, maybe you'll enjoy this link to baking bread in your crock-pot. I haven't tried it yet but sure would keep the kitchen a whole lot cooler in the summer!

    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2012/05/29/crock-pot-bread-baking-fast-bread-in-a-slow-cooker

    ReplyDelete