Background

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cookies For Breakfast...A (Not-So) Unheardof Idea

As I was thumbing through my current Penzey's Spice catalog (yes, the same one that these tuna cakes were in), I found a recipe for breakfast cookies. Cookies for breakfast; unheard of until now. I thought to myself, "Maybe I can break BAP from his exclusive cheerio diet, if we had these." Yes; success.

Breakfast Cookies
adapted slightly from: Penzey's Catalog Spring 2012

2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 t almond extract
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup shredded & sweetened coconut
1 cup slivered almonds (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and extracts; mix well. Add flour, soda, cinnamon and oats; blend thoroughly. Fold in remaining ingredients.
Drop by Tablespoons on to cookie sheets. Bake 14-16 minutes. I made mine into bars; spread out in greased oblong pan*. Bake about 30-45minutes. Serve with a glass of cold milk.
*I thought bars would be easier to hide that I was cutting them in half for the kiddos, instead of breaking a cookie in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment