Background

Friday, March 2, 2012

Tuna Is Not So Boring After All

Tuna sandwiches get boring after 40 days of Lent. Same with tuna noodle casserole. I thought these were the only real ways to prepare it. Recently I got my Penzey's Catalog in the mail. I still have yet to order from them, but I have tried their spices ... and I love them. In the catalog there is often a recipe or 3. This time I found one for an interesting dish using tuna. Hmm...think I will try this one. A great new way to try 'doctor up' something old and boring like tuna.

Summery Tuna Cakes
adapted slightly from: Penzey's Catalog Spring 2012

1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup) luckily I had some frozen still from last summer's harvest
1 (6 1/2 oz) can tuna, drained well
1 1/2 cups firmly packed bread cubes (I just used about 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs)
1 egg
2 t minced onion
1 t lemon juice
1/4 t salt*
1/4 t ground pepper*
1/2 t dill weed, optional*
5 T vegetable oil
* I just used about 1/4 t lemon pepper, mmmm

Pat zucchini dry. Combine zucchini, tuna, bread (I added last to see how much was really needed), egg, onion, lemon juice and seasonings along with 2 T oil. Mix well. (I refrigerated for about 30-60 minutes at this point). Shape into patties. Heat 3 T oil in a skillet over medium heat (non-stick skillet worked well). Add tuna cakes. Cook about 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through just to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment