Background

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Breakfast For Dinner

Last Thursday, I had to throw something for dinner even though I did not feel like cooking. I actually felt downright awful. I had a blasted migraine headache. ( I think lately they are related to our current heartache.) The boys were being crazy and with daddy out of town I could almost get away with anything for dinner...well almost anything. BAP suggested pancakes. Pancakes are not my thing (never have mastered that flipping thing but I could do waffles). I set to work making waffles. About half way through of getting the ingredients organized, I realized I had NO syrup. How could you have waffles without syrup (I can especially with oodles of butter)! I doubled this recipe to ensure leftovers so next time I will have some. Since my head was throbbing SO BAD I could not drive let alone see straight, I just looked for a recipe to make along side of the waffle recipe.

Oat Waffles

1 cup flour
1 cup oat flour (I just blended together 1 1/4 cup oatmeal, as the recipe suggests for a substitute)
4 t baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
2 T oil
1 t vanilla

Combine dry ingredients. Combine wet ingredients. Make a well in the dry and stir (until just blended) the wet ingredients. Will be VERY runny. Preheat waffle iron (grease if necessary). Pour 1/2 cup batter on iron and cook.

Syrup

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 t maple flavoring (I did not have)
1/2 t vanilla

Combine all ingredients minus extracts. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for about 7 minutes. Add extracts off the heat. Stir. Serve over desired food with a spoon. (I could eat this buy the spoonful). Cool then store in an airtight container NOT in the fridge. Mine has never thickened, as the recipe says it should. I just used a spoon/small ladle to get it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment