Background

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Luck O' Leprechaun

Are you wearing your green today? Neither am I! As I am not Irish, I don't care to sport such nonsense (though BAP and SSP will).  I may or may not have a green shamrock drawn on my hand or a piece of paper.  However, I really enjoy making reuben sandwiches for this feast day. I thought soup sounded better this year, so I tried this with rye bread croutons.

Reuben Soup
adapted from: http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/creamy-reuben-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/

1 medium onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 T butter
1lb corned beef (I am using Pastrami), chopped up
32oz beef stock
1 cup sauerkraut
1 t sea salt (omit)
1 t caraway seed
3/4 t black pepper
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups swiss cheese, shredded

Saute onion, celery and garlic until softened and clearish.  Transfer to a slow cooker. Add meat, stock, sauerkraut, salt, caraway and pepper.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 4.5hours. Add remaining ingredients and cook for an extra hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment