Background

Friday, September 25, 2015

Fun Meal Makeover

As fall comes into full swing, it is time for cozy soup recipes.  I made this recipe a week ago; it was loved by all. Great! I think it is a great addition to the fall/winter recipe cycle. Serve with buttered croissants. Perfection! (Though I am still not sure what BAP and SSP liked better - the rolls or the soup. Either way it was delish!)

Broccoli Cheese Soup
adapted from: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/broccoli-cheese-soup-recipe/

2T butter
1T olive oil
1 whole shallot, diced
2/3 cup diced carrots
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup flour (I used rice flour)
3 cups chicken broth (veggie would be an easy substitute)
3 cups whole milk
1 (16oz) pkg broccoli, steamed
1 1/2 t Dijon mustard
(1 cup leftover mashed potatoes - I had mixed some  veggie cream cheese with them)*
(1/2 cup leftover Queso dip)*
salt/pepper
8oz shredded cheese

In a dutch oven saute shallot, carrots, and garlic in the butter and oil.  Once the veggies are tender, stir in flour to coat.  Slowly pour in the broth and milk.   Add broccoli, mustard and salt/pepper (and other ingredients if desired). Cook until everything is thick and bubbly. I used my immersion blender to make it all smooth (and to hide all the other veggies, besides broccoli).  Serve and sprinkle with cheese.

*my additions

No comments:

Post a Comment