Background

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Moist Delicious Cake

Happy Birthday to my dear husband (a about a week ago)! I am not sure what we would do without him. Since his birthday fell on Ash Wednesday this year, I thought I better something not so much on the sweet side.  This recipe is for his birthday cake; it was enjoyed by all (except me).  

Mt Hood Summer 2014

Prune Cake
adapted from: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/12/make-this-cake-today-trust-me/

Cake
1 cup prunes
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 1/2 cup flour
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 t apple pie spice
1 cup buttermilk (I used about 1/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup buttermilk)
1 t vanilla
1/2 t rum extract

Glaze
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 t baking soda 
1 T corn syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t vanilla
splash of rum extract

Boil prunes in enough water to cover. Drain and mash. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, oil and sugar; mix together until ribbony.  Sift together flour, baking soda and apple pie spice. Gently stir into egg mixture. In a small bowl combine buttermilk, vanilla and rum extract.  Add to batter.  Now slolwy fold in prunes.  Pour into a greased 9x13pan.  Bake at 300 for 35-40 minutes.
For glaze combine all ingredients in saucepan.  Melt together until caramel in color.  Pour over hot cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment