Background

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Super Easy ... Super Comforting

My husband has always enjoyed tater tot casserole. I have tried numerous recipes...I just know that I don't enjoy using the soups as much in them.  When this recipe showed up on my blog roll, I knew immediately that I had to make it.  I had this recipe "bookmarked" for a few days before I succumbed to the lingering temptation. So glad that I made it! Delicious!

Skillet Tater Tot Casserole
adapted from: http://iowagirleats.com/2014/10/20/skillet-tater-tot-casserole/

1 lb ground beef
2 T butter (+1 T bacon grease)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 shallot, chopped (omitted since I could not run out to the store)
1/2 onion, diced (my edition)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 T cornstarch
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 cup milk
2 T soy sauce
2 T ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t smoked paprika (did not have)
2lbs tater tots
1/3 cup shredded cheese (my edition)

In a large oven safe skillet brown ground beef with the onions.  Remove from pan. Add butter/bacon grease; saute mushrooms and garlic.  In a measuring cup, combine broth, milk, soy sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire and paprika. Remove some of this liquid and combine with cornstarch.  Add liquid mixture; stir in cornstarch slurry.  Add beef onion mixture once thickened slightly.  Top with tater tots. Bake according to tater tot directions (about 425 for 25 minutes), Sprinkle with cheese the last couple minutes.  Or if you don't have a large enough skillet, pour meat mixture into a greased pan and top with tater tots. Bake as directed.

1 comment: