Background

Monday, September 29, 2014

Loaded Up

Soup is always a pleasant meal on a chilly day. This last weekend was very rainy and drizzly.  Even though I love the rain, it was a little crazy.  One day we had mashed potatoes.  However I have no desire to reheat them. I thought I would be creative. How 'bout soup?!  Mom often made potato soup, when we kids were growing up. Perfect!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
adapted from: http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2011/11/loaded-bacon-and-cheddar-baked-potato-soup.html

4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 (16oz) package bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
4 garlic cloves, minced
4T butter
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups milk
2 T cornstarch (with water)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese

In a large stockpot cook bacon. Drain most of the bacon fat (after removing the bacon bits). Saute onion and garlic in bacon grease and butter.  Stir in milk and broth (and cornstarch slurry).  Stir in mashed potatoes.  Stir until thickened and smooth (I used my immersion blender to puree some more).   Top with reserved bacon bits and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment