Background

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Great Tasting (Non Crumbly) Bread

I have always LOVED English muffins (unless they were a certain chain restaurant's egg mcmuffins-uck-with the name mentioned of such sandwich makes me squeamish).  I love how they get lovely and toasty brown in the toaster.  I recently made some awe-mazing bread...I cannot wait to toast it (and try it-the real test in my book).

English Muffin Toasting Bread
adapted from: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/english-muffin-toasting-bread-recipe

3 cups flour
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 t baking soda
1 T yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 T oil
cornmeal

In your mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, soda and yeast.  In another microwave safe bowl combine milk, water and oil.  (Heat until 120-130 - I tested using my candy thermometer) Add hot liquid to dry ingredients.  Mix well until soft dough forms.  Grease a loaf pan well.  Sprinkle bottom and sides of pan with cornmeal.  Dump warm dough in pan.  Let rise until just above the top of pan.  Bake at 400 for 22-27minutes.  Cool 5 minutes in pan on rack. Dump loaf onto rack and cool completely.  (crucial to do this before slicing)

No comments:

Post a Comment