Background

Saturday, June 1, 2013

(Almost) Tastes Like Banana Bread

I have had a bag of (baby) carrots in my fridge for way too long.  Everytime I open the door they are begging to be used.  I am thankful they are not slimy but just dry (and extra crunchy).  I know that eating these carrots raw is out of the question but what if I baked with them.  I decided it was high time to do something.  So I made a carrot cake loaf (or three).   MMM...  (Now I have to find a solution for the rest of those carrots that weren't used.)

Carrot Cake Bread
adapted from: http://acozykitchen.com/carrot-cake-bread/

Bread
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 t vanilla
3 cups flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1/2 baking powder
1 1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 t  nutmeg (omitted)
1 can sliced pineapple, drained and diced (I just pureed it, so it would be undistinguishable)
1/4 cup slivered almonds (omitted for allergies)
1/4 cup coconut (omitted)
2 cups grated carrots

Glaze
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
4oz cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.  In a mixer beat eggs.  Add oil, sugar and vanilla.  Beat until foamy.  In separate bowl combine dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg).  Add slowly to wet.  (Batter will be super thick; don't worry!) Remove to a larger bowl and fold in pineapple, almonds, coconut and carrots. (Batter will be more runny like now.)  Divide  evenly between 2 greased/flour loaf pans.  Bake for an hour or until tester comes out clean (mine took closer to 75minutes).  Cool 10minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

For the glaze:
Beat together butter, powdered sugar, and cream cheese.  Add milk and vanilla.  Pour over bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment