Background

Monday, May 13, 2013

Weekly Staple

When I was younger, Mom would make granola on a weekly basis (or so it seemed at the time).  I have tried to make it myself on multiple occasions but never had it tasting just right. However recently I tried another new recipe, and it seemed about perfect.  Even though I forgot the vanilla extract it is quite tasty. My boys love this too.

Granola

6 cups oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup coconut (did not have)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used sunflower seeds and flax seeds)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup dry milk
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
2 T water (oops, forgot that too)
1 1/2 t vanilla (as I said I forgot)
1 cup raisins (I figured we could add our own if we wanted them)

In a large bowl, combine oats, sugar, wheat germ, coconut, nuts, sesame seeds and dry milk.  In another bowl (glass measuring cup works well) combine oil, honey, water and vanilla.  Pour these wet ingredients over the dry.  Toss well to coat.  Transfer to 2 well-greased sided cookie sheets.  Bake at 300 for about 40minutes until slightly toasted (stirring a few times during baking).  Cool for 15minutes.  Stir again.  Remove to an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment