Background

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Black Beans & Rice - A Lenten Staple

Today starts the Season of Lent.  During Lent we are obliged to go meatless on Fridays and Ash Wednesday (today).  I love eating rice and beans on such days...it is a good thing everyone here loves beans just as much.  This recipe is a combination of all my favorite ways to eat beans. (usually we just top the beans and salsa on cooked rice) BAP loved this recipe...he ate 2 BIG bowls and said it was so good (I am glad he did not notice the tomatoes or onions!) I halved the rice and it was PLENTY just the 4 of us.

Black Beans & Rice
adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/simply-delicioso-with-ingrid-hoffmann/black-beans-and-rice-recipe/index.html

1/4 cup olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 green peppers, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 bay leaves (omitted)
1 T ground cumin (still used this much in my recipe)
2 cups white rice, uncooked
4 (14oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes with chilies (I just added 1 Rotel plus 1/2 can salsa)
2 cups water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
salt/pepper

Heat oil in a large sauce pan.  Saute onions, peppers, garlic, and bay leaves.  Stir in cumin while cooking-cook until fragrant about 7minutes.  Stir in rice, beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar and salt/pepper.  Boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Cook about 40minutes until rice is tender (it was closer to 30 for me).  Serve hot with cheese and sour cream, if desired.  (These toppings are my addition).

No comments:

Post a Comment