Background

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Pizza Pitas

The other day I bought some pocket pita bread in hopes of making some veggie wraps, like these ones that I found online.  However I suddenly remembered that my dear husband loves to have meat with his meal.  I have to apologize to him...the only meat we have had all week is poultry.  Hmm...how could I do that too.  Suddenly it came to me.

Shredded Italian Chicken Sandwiches

4-5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 can chicken breasts, drained (optional)
1 (8oz) pkg slice mushrooms
2-3 bell peppers sliced (I used half of a package of the frozen ones)
1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
2 T butter
1 T minced garlic
1-2 T Italian seasoning
2 cans (6oz each) tomato paste
1/2 can Marsala cooking wine
more water
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Pocket pita breads (I found Italian herb flavored ones)

Place chicken thighs and 1 1/2 cups water in crock pot.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Remove from crock pot; shred.  Dump out water.  Return chicken to crock pot.  Meanwhile while the chicken is cooking, saute onion, garlic and bell peppers in butter in a large deep skillet.  Let soften.  Add Italian seasoning, pastes, wine and additional water just to make slightly 'soupy.'  Add veggie mixture to crock pot.  Stir to combine it with the chicken thighs(once the allotted time is up for the chicken). Then stir in canned chicken breasts, if desired. Cook on high for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours until heated throughout.  Place filling in pita breads.  Top with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment