Background

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Creamy (& Not Dense) Delicious Cheesecake

Yes I did say delicious.  As a cheesecake HATER, I actually enjoyed this variation that I found online.  I had the honor of being in charge of making my brother's (SSP's Godfather's) birthday cake.  He had requested cheese cake so I had to find one that would work.  I topped it with the ganache from this recipe.  MMM...wow was it good.  I had to try a couple of bites with Mom's huckleberries too. Both were so good.  This recipe may have made me a cheese cake lover...weird!

Perfect Cheesecake (and it really is)
adapted from: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_cheesecake/

Crust
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs (approx 2 sleeves worth)
2 T sugar
pinch of salt
5 T butter (omit salt if using salted)

Filling
2 pounds cream cheese, softened (it sounds like a lot but it makes it worth it)
1 1/3 cups sugar
pinch of salt
2 t vanilla
4 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream (I had a little less than 1/3 cup so I just added extra heavy whipping cream to make up the difference)
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Toppings (I did NOT do)
see original recipe

Grease a 9-inch spring form pan, really well. Fold foil around it all; bottoms and sides.  Only thing not covered tightly is the well-part.  Preheat oven to 350.
For crust crush crackers and combine with sugar (salt) and butter.  Press in bottoms and sides.  Bake in preheated oven for just 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool slightly.  Reduce oven temperature to 325.
For filling cream the cream cheese really well.  Add sugar.  Next add vanilla and salt.  Mix well.  Add eggs one at a time, combining well after each one.  Next add sour cream.  Mix well.   Then add cream; again mix well.  Scraping sides of the bowl all the while.
Meanwhile place crust pan into a deep and large roasting pan.  After all the filling ingredients are mixed well, add filling to springform pan (I had about 2 cups filling leftover).  Pour 2 quarts of BOILING (yes boiling) water all around the foil-lined springform pan (up about 1/2 way up the sides of the side).
Bake for 1 1/2 hours.  When time is up, turn off oven but do NOT remove cheesecake from oven. Crack oven door slightly and let it cool as the oven cools (about an hour).  Once cool cover it and store for at least 4 hours (I did mine overnight).

No comments:

Post a Comment