Background

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Being Meat-free Can Be Good Too

Recently I learned that the United States Catholic Bishops are calling us to do more fasting and abstinence.  This call is a response to all things happening within our own country (Presidency, violence against women and children, etc).  Though I have been trying to meatless meals on Fridays since we got married, I hope to make more of a conscious effort to do so.  Recently my dear sister in law posted a recipe I have been dying to try; I did tonight and it was DELICIOUS.

Mexican Quinoa
adapted from: http://beautifulmess46.blogspot.com/2012/12/mexican-quinoa.html

2 cups favorite salsa
1 1/4 cups broth (either chicken or veggie)
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1/2 t salt (omitted)
1 T lime juice (omitted)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (omitted)
sour cream, cheese, sliced green onions (for garnish)

Combine salsa, broth, corn, beans, quinoa and salt in a small-ish stockpot (my 3 quart saucepan worked well).  Bring to a boil; stir occasionally.  Turn heat to low; cover.  Simmer for about 25 minutes (until liquid is mostly gone).  Stir.  Remove from heat and rest UNCOVERED at least 5 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice.  Serve in bowls.  Top with sour cream, cheese or anyother favorite Mexican toppings.  MMM...this is so delicious (if I was not so stuffed, I might make another pot right now.)  :)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this recipe! We eat meat free about 5 days out of the week. Paul likes to joke that I'm killing him, but he has admitted that most of the time he doesn't even notice! :)

    ReplyDelete