Background

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"You Sneaky Mom!"

Yes I can empathize with any parent who has eaten their child's halloween candy (as seen on this video.)  I have been that parent who has eaten a twix or three from my child's stash (shhh...don't tell).  I love being sneaky in other ways including (my personal favorite) getting veggies in places where they can easily be hidden or not noticed as much.  The other day I was thumbing through my Food Network Magazine and found a recipe that I had to try (it was LOADED with veggies.  I hope the boys won't notice.  I guess we will find out or not soon.   BAP noticed the 'seeds'.  SSP gobbled it down very quickly.  This mixture works out well for taco filling for tacos, taco salads, etc.

Lentil Sloppy Joes
Food Network

2 T vegetable oil (I used bacon grease, since I was adding about 1/4 pound fresh bacon bits)
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (I used 1 small can green chilies chopped)
1/2 cup ketchup, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/4 t dried oregano
salt/pepper
8 oz ground beef
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Buns
cheese

Saute onion, carrot and pepper in grease until just beginning to soften.  Add 2 T ketchup and garlic.  Add lentils and oregano and 4 cups water.  Boil.  Cook 5 minutes.  Reduce heat and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes (add an additional cup of water if necessary).  In another skillet, brown ground beef.  Stir in bacon.  Add Worcestershire sauce and 6T ketchup.  Add lentils and let thicken.  Fill buns and top with grated cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment