Background

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Dessert For Breakfast

Last night I was paging through a new library book.  I found a recipe for an apple pancake.   I thought I would make this for the munchkins this morning for breakfast.  I am glad that I did.  It was really good.  However next time I will make it for dessert and not for breakfast unless it is a really special occasion.

German Apple Pancake
adapted from:  Emeril's There's A Chef In My World! Recipes That Take You Places

4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup whole milk (I used part 1/2 and 1/2 & 2% milk)
1 cup flour
1/2 t vanilla extract
3 T butter
2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
cinnamon sugar
salt

In a mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, flour and vanilla just until combined.  Let rest at least 20 minutes.  I stored mine covered in the refrigerator over night.   Preheat oven to 450.  In a large (10-12 inch) cast iron skillet melt 2 T butter on medium heat.  Add apples.  Sprinkle with salt and cinnamon sugar.  Cook until slightly softened.  Add last 1 T of butter.  Quickly pour batter over apple mixture.  Place immediately in preheated oven.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown and puffy.  Serve with maple syrup and/or powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment