Background

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

You Should Make This EVERY Day

My very picky 4 year old BAP just LOVED this soup. He devoured 2 bowl-fuls.  He was a little leery at first especially when he said me add the garlic but that quickly changed when he tasted it.  He told me he wanted me to make this every day.  I really enjoyed it; even if cauliflower is not at the top of my veggie list.  As the original author of this recipe says, "This is one of those recipes that I’m going to tell you if you think you don’t like cauliflower: TRY AGAIN. That’s right. No wimping out on this one. This Creamy Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup is incredible."

Creamy Roasted Garlic & Cauliflower Soup
adapted from: http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2011/02/roasted-garlic-and-cauliflower-soup.html#comment-56222

1 whole head cauliflower, chopped into florets
1 large head garlic (about 15 cloves raw)
1/2 T olive oil
1 T butter
1 onion, diced
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t dried thyme
1 T cornstarch mixed with a little water to make a slurry
1/3 cup white cooking wine
1/2 cup water
2 cups chicken broth
1/3 - 1/2 cup half and half
3 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used peppered bacon)

Coat cauliflower florets in a splash of olive oil.  Place on foil-lined baking sheet. Slice top 1/4-1/2 inch off top of cauliflower. Drizzle with olive oil.  Place in foil. (I had loose garlic cloves and did the same).  Roast both cauliflower and garlic at 400 for about 20-25 minutes until cauliflower starts to golden-up.

Cook bacon in large soup pot; remove bacon. Heat butter in same soup pot with bacon grease.  Cook onions until fragrant and translucent.  Add salt, pepper and thyme.  Next add wine, water and chicken broth.  Stir in slurry mixture.  Bring to a boil.  Add cooked cauliflower.  Cover and simmer about 10 minutes just until tender.  Add garlic.  Puree mixture with immersion blender or transfer to other blender to get un-lumpy.  Return to put if necessary.  Add half and half.  Stir.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes just til heated through.  Remove from heat.  Top each serving with bacon crumbles.  I even topped my helping with a little Boursin cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment