Background

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sweet Salty and Slightly Addictive

What kid (or kid - at - heart) does not like corn dogs?! Recently I found that store bought ones are extremely salty....eww yuck.  We are trying to cut salt from our diets (it improves my headaches and my husband's high blood pressure problem).  You can season some many other ways without resorting to salt-based seasonings.  On a happier note, I discovered a 'healthified' corn dog recipe (without all the salt added)...it is oh so good too. (Thanks Mom for introducing me to these!) The boys just love them too. Win win.

Corn Dogs
adapted from: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/10/corn-dog-muffins/

1/4 cup shortening, melted & cooled (I used canola oil since I forgot the shortening at the store)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
3 whole hot dogs, cut into 1/4s (I only use Hebrew National Brand)

Preheat oven to 425. Grease one muffin tin well.  Combine all wet ingredients.  Throughly mix together the dry, and then combine the two.  Pour a little less than 1/3 cup batter into muffin tin. Put 1 hot dog piece in each pocket. Then top with more batter. (There will be enough for 12 'corn dogs').  Bake about 10-15 minutes.  Serve with maple syrup, ketchup and mustard.  I love the maple syrup and corn dog mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment