Background

Friday, November 30, 2012

How Are You Celebrating New Years?!

This weekend marks New Year...at least in the Church.  Sunday is the First Sunday of Advent.  I cannot believe that Christmas is less than a month away.  I am glad that I am done with Christmas shopping for the boys (unless I get some stocking stuffers for St Nicholas Day or the like).  What are your plans for New Years?  I like making the Church New Year in a special way. This year I am going to make my mom's recipe for Cioppino - seafood stew - along with some good crusty garlic bread to sop us the sauce.  MMM...my mouth is watering already.

Cioppino
Mom

2 T Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 T minced garlic
3 (14oz) can Italian Style Tomatoes, diced or chunks
2 cups chicken broth
1 t dried basil
2 T tomato paste
1 1/2 t dried oregano
1 1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t dried red pepper flakes
1/4 t black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 pound halibut, cut into 1/2-in pieces
12oz shrimp
12oz scallops (I like using the little ones)
1 can clams (with juice)

Saute onions, garlic and bell pepper in hot oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add tomatoes (do NOT  drain), broth, basil, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, pepper flakes, pepper and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer (covered) for about an hour.  Stir in seafood and bring to a gentle boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 4-5 minutes.  Remove bay leaf.  Serve in bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment