Background

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Uber Soft (and Moist)

My husband just adores soft cookies. I tend to like crispy edges and soft centers (ie brownie corners are my favorite). BAP, SSP and I made some sugar cookies the other day for Valentine's Day. They were so soft and moist; I loved them too. I forgot to get pictures of us decorating them. BAP decorated them with one of his friends. BAP and friend wanted to eat all the frosting(we just used store bought since I was out of powdered sugar)...even if it meant painting it on their fingers just so they could eat it. The sprinkles were a hit also. Everytime the container got some stuck to it (whether or not it was on the shaker lid or not) BAP insisted on licking it off just to get the sprinkles out. It was a hoot. Hopefully next time I will remember to dig out the camera. Until then, I hope you enjoy these ubber soft cookies, as we have. I cannot wait to make more.

Soft Sugar Cookies

Cookie
6 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt (omitted since I used salted butter)
1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 t vanilla (next time I might add a hint of another flavor too: almond, rum, etc)
1 1/2 cups sour cream

Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 t vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
6 T heavy cream
Food coloring
Sprinkles

Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Cream butter and sugar together in mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and sour cream until just combined. Add dry ingredients. Dough will be VERY sticky. Divide into 2 sections. Flatten into recatangles about 1 1/2 inches thick (recommend doing this on plastic wrap). Wrap tightly. Chill for at least 2 hours (will still be slightly sticky).
Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheets. Flour chilled dough on top and bottom. Roll out until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Bake 7 minutes. Transfer to wire rack; cool completely.

Cream together butter, vanilla and powdered sugar (and salt). Once creamy, add cream a little at a time. Beat until just fluffy. Add food coloring.

Frost cookies. Let cookies rest to set the frosting. Store in air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment