Background

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Time For Ball-Ball

Husband and BAP love (I mean really really love) watching ball-ball (otherwise known as football). I think the sport just entails sweaty guys running all over a large field, jumping on each other, getting hurt with the occasional really cool pass or touchdown (or whatever that is called). I am clueless. Every year my dear husband likes holding a Super Bowl Party (not that his team, ever gets there, but just because it is the thing to do). I comply and decide to go all out and make snacks for he (and whomever shows up snacks...'cuz that is what I do). This year we (errr, I) decided to make a mock Mexican style feast. Serve all with tortillas, chips, etc.

Jalapeno Pepper Poppers
(VA Montana Cookbook)

1 pound fresh jalapenos, halved length-wise and seeded (I advise using gloves to do this, otherwise your hands will HURT...not that I know from experience or anything :P)
1 (8oz) package Cream Cheese, softened
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterrey jack, sharp, etc - I enjoy using Monterrey jack or Mexican shreds)
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (or 1/4 cup precrumbled stuff, but make sure they are REAL bacon bits)
1/4 t salt (I omit because of the saltiness of the bacon)
1/4 - 1/2 t chili powder
1/4-1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (I omit)

Mix cream cheese, cheese, bacon seasonings. Roll in crumbs. Place on greased foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 300 for 20 minutes (spicy), 30 minutes (medium) or 40 minutes (mild)

Southwest Salsa Fondue

3/4 cup prepared salsa (drain in a fine-mesh colander until liquid comes out...about an hour)
3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 pound Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
3 T cornstarch
1/2 t ground cumin
2 (12oz) bottles Mexican beer, such as Corona, at room temperature
1 clove garlic, cut in half
3 T Tequila
dippables (chips, veggies, tacos etc)

Place cheese, cumin, and cornstarch in bowl. Toss well to coat.
Add 2 1/4 cups beer to fondue pot ('grease' with garlic clove); boil. Bring to a simmer. Add cheese just a handful at a time, stirring with each addition so cheese melts. Once all the cheese is added, add the salsa and tequila. Keep warm. Serve.
My note: Chicken broth is a good substitue for the beer. I boiled the garlic clove in the broth. Remove before adding the cheese. I use 3 (8oz) bags of the preshredded cheese. I do NOT add the Tequila. Still a great snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment