Background

Monday, February 6, 2012

Mashed Potatoes & Cheese ... Oh So Good

While dating my husband, his adopted grandmother (who was Polish) often made Pierogies for dinner. It was totally love at first bite for both of us. Last Friday was my grandmother's birthday; she too was Polish. (Boy, do I miss her! I love you Grandma!!) I wanted to make a meal in remembrance of my dear Grandma D. Being a Friday, we have been trying to go meatless. This was the perfect option. So time-consuming but so delicious. I never found out adopted grandmother's recipe; this is my variation of what I hope is somewhat similar.



Grandma D with BAP (@5months old)

Pierogies

Dough
4 cups flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
salt
2/3 cup warm water

Mix all ingredients in food processor just until a ball forms. Take out; place on floured surface; rest. I like to make this quick dough when the potatoes are simmering.

Potato Filling
3-4 potatoes (I did 4 Yukon Golds and 4 Russet)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup butter
splash of milk
1 pound WHITE American cheese

Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot with onions and garlic. Bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Remove water. Mash (as in mashed potatoes) with butter and milk in another bowl. Add cheese; thoroughly blend until cheese is melted.

Roll out dough until REALLY REALLY thin. Cut with 3 inch biscuit cutters. Place 1 T filling in center. Pinch closed all the way around. Let rest for a minute.

Bring more water to boil in a large pot (potato pot works well). Place pierogies in the pot (only a few at a time). Simmer for about 10-15 minutes until floating for about 3 minutes. Place in a large oven-safe pan in the oven on 200 until all pierogies are done. I melted 4T butter in the bottom of the pan. Then placed the pierogies on top of the butter. Then when all were done I place an additional 4T on top of all and let melt and drizzle down.

No comments:

Post a Comment