Background

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Apples & Caramel...Oh My!

I love the taste of caramel with apples. So great and refreshing on a fall day. If you love these flavors together, this is a must try dessert. The syrup is just heavenly. I hope you agree. These little morsels remind me a lot of my grandma's apple pie she would make. 



Apple Dumplings

Syrup
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 T butter
1/4 t cinnamon

Dumplings
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 t salt
1/2 cup shortening
4-5 T milk

4-5 small apples, peeled (I cored and halved as well).

Preheat oven to 425.

In a sauce pan, combine syrup ingredients. Boil and make sure butter melts. Remove from heat. Cool. (Don't fret, it does not have to be thick...it will thicken as it cooks in the oven.)

Combine flour and salt and cut in shortening. Add milk slowly until dough comes together. Roll out on a floured surface (1/8 - 1/4 inch thick). Cut into 4-5 large squares (since I halved the apples, about 8 squares). Fold dough over apples (ends over the flat side).

Place dumplings in greased pan (pie plate works well). Pour sauce over and around dumplings. The dumplings should be swimming in it.

Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment