Background

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Love Of Apples & Cheese


When we moved into our house in March, we noticed a great big apple tree in the backyard. We were overjoyed since we all LOVE apples. However upon closer inspection, we noticed that the tree was covered in little green bugs (better known as aphids). We talked with Sister-in-Law M about what do about the pesky pests (since she is a bug lover et al). She advised us to spray the tree with a soap-water combination. As soon as all the snow melted, I got to spray the tree as best as I could. Well it seemed to work. We have picked a ton of apples, even with wormy centers. Cheese is a wonderful treat too. I remember when I was pregnant with BAP; I would have a snack of apple and cheese slices after school (I taught Kindergarten/1st grade in Anchorage). A very refreshing snack! Recently I ran across a recipe that combined these two loves. I knew instantly that I had to try it. I did...so great!

Mother's Comfort Pie


Crust
2 cups flour
1/2 t salt
2/3 cup shortening (plain)
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
1/3 cup cold water

Filling
5-6 firm, tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 T lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg (I will either cut this in half next time or omit entirely)
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated

Preheat oven to 425.

Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening and cheese until crumbly. Slowly add the water, while stirring, until the crumble mixture begins to hold together and just until you can form the dough into a ball. Be careful not to over work the dough. (I mixed up in my food processor.) Roll out half the dough on a floured board. Place in a (greased) 9-inch pan. Roll out remaining dough.

Mix all the filling ingredients together. Fill the crust with the filling, and then place the second crust on top. Prick the top and seal the edges.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 (do not open oven), and continue baking for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack.

Serve with ice cream.

NOTE: Make filling first

No comments:

Post a Comment