Background

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Code Words

Ever have a saying or word that just means something to you and those around you (where everyone else does not need to know what it means too)? One year my boyfriend (now husband) and I were visiting my grandparents during the summer and Grandma made a delicious chicken dish. However this dish had wine in it. Wine in itself is not bad; however sulfites (and alcohol) give me a migraine. Therefore after dinner we came up with the say 'the chicken's cooked with wine' as a new way to say that I have migraine. I remember we shared this meal with my grandparents (God bless their souls and some priest friends of theirs). It was a wonderful evening; despite the stinking headache at the end of the meal. (It was well worth it since I love this chicken dish).

Chicken Monterey
recipe courtesy of Grandma D


4 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I have used 2 sliced in half width / lengthwise just to make them thinner and easier to cook)
Dust with salt, pepper and flour.
Fry until slightly golden brown on both sides in 1/4 cup margarine in large skillet
Place in a greased 3 quart casserole pan

In the same greased skillet (with cooking spray), saute:
1/2 cup (or 1 medium) onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 large mushrooms, sliced
Remove veggies and place on chicken breasts
Add:
2 T flour
1/2 t white pepper
2 T celery salt
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine (or more chicken broth)
Stir until thickened.
Stir in:
1 avocado, mashed
1/2 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
Pour sauce over chicken and veggies. Cover with additional 1 cup of grated Monterrey Jack cheese.
Bake at 350 for 15 -25 minutes (until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbly). Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment