Background

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bring On The Chinese Food

Yesterday I peered into my refrigerator. Just as I had hoped a half a bag of coleslaw said "pick me". I have been really want to make some yummy lo mein lately but every time I do not have the cabbage or some other ingredient. I just dealt with what I had and made it before I wasted anymore time. So yummy! This recipe brings back memories of going out to eat with my Grandparents in Portland at Grandpa's favorite Chinese restaurant. The first time I had this recipe was at friends' house in Anchorage, Alaska (Hi Mr & Mrs B!) when they announced they were expecting their first baby. Love at first bite!

Teriyaki Chicken Lo Mein
from Cook's Country Feb/Mar 2009

3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 1/2 T fresh grated ginger (or 1/4 t ginger powder)
1/3 cup sugar
1 T cornstarch
3 1/2 cups water

4 (3oz) packages ramen noodles, broken into large pieces, seasoning packages discarded
1 (16 oz) coleslaw mix
2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
1 T vegetable oil.

Simmer soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking often, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer half of soy sauce mixture to large bowl and reserve. Add water to saucepan withe remaining soy sauce mixture and return to a boil. Add ramen and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes. Off heat, stir in coleslaw mix. Cover and keep warm.
Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 1 minute per side. Transfer chicken to bowl with reserved soy sauce mixture and toss to coat. Transfer noodles to platter and top with chicken. (I just mix noodles, cabbage, and chicken all together at this point).

I suggest thirding the sauce recipe (soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, sugar, cornstarch, water) if only using half package of coleslaw, 1 chicken breast and 2 packages noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment