Background

Monday, August 1, 2011

One of the Finer Points of Life...

Shrimp is so good. I buy occasionally at Costco ... it just so happens that a great friend celebrated her birthday with us yesterday. As the birthday custom goes, the celebrated one gets to pick a favorite meal with dessert. What a treat! She asked for Shrimp Creole. Sounds easy enough...so I made it last night for her (I thought I would make up my own recipe after perusing a few online). Boy was it good! Next time I think I will add more shrimps.

Shrimp Creole

1 pound raw shrimp (peeled and deveined - not to mention de-tailed)
1 t Cajun seasoning
1/4 t chipolte powder

3 T butter
1/3 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper (your choice in color), diced
1 T minced garlic (more or less to suit taste)
1 (4 oz) can diced mild chilies
1/2 t Sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can Ro-tel Tomatoes

Mix shrimp with Cajun seasooning and chipotle powder. Gently sauted until getting pink (still a little raw). Meanwhile saute onion and bell pepper in a 4-qt sauce pan. Add garlic; stir into pepper and onion mixture. Add chilies. Quickly stir in Sriracha. Add both cans of tomatoes. Do NOT drain. I repeat do NOT drain. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until very hot. Add shrimp. Cover and cook for another 5.

Serve over a bed of cooked white rice.

Yields: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment