Background

Monday, August 22, 2011

Luscious Lemon Chicken

Chinese food is one of my favorites (I think it ties in the bests with Mexican food). Hard to believe but I enjoy both. However most restaurants laden any and all of their food with the mysterious ingredient of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). I steer clear of it unless I just happen to dying for one of my headaches (can I really miss them so much that I just want one to come and visit me). Just kidding...I really HATE migraines. However I do love my ethnic foods.


Lemon Chicken
I made this recipe up as I went (so measurements are approximate).



Marinade
3 T Dijon Mustard (non-grainy type)
1/3 cup lemon juice

Whisk ingredients together. Put in a zip bag with 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces- I cut the breasts in half length-wise then into chunks). Mush around little so all pieces are coated. Marinate in refrigerator 4 or more hours; longer then better. (Hubby said the mixture smelled of skunk...I could not smell that.)

Dredge
2 T red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups cornstarch

Mix. Place in a zip bag. Put a few pieces of marinated chicken in bag. Seal. Shake bag until pieces are coated. Place pieces on a cooling rack (that is sitting on a cookie sheet to 'drip' excess dredge off. Repeat until all pieces are coated. Let set for about 5-7 minutes so coating can get good and stuck on.

After coating/dredging is done, cook chicken in a quarter inch of oil (vegetable or canola are best) in an electric skillet at 325-375 (depending if you can have a constant eye on this or not). Let chicken get little browned and crusty then flip. Do only a few at time otherwise the chicken with just become a greasy glob and it will take a long time to cook. Place cooked chicken pieces on another cookie sheet. Repeat until all pieces are cooked.

Sauce
1/2 cup lemonade concentrate
1/8 - 1/4 cup Thai sauce (depending on your preference)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup orange marmalade
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2 T cornstarch
1 T water
Whisk together forming a paste then pour into boiling ingredients. Stir together until just thickened.

Pour sauce into a large bowl. Add crispy chicken. Toss to coat all pieces. At this point add about 16 ounces cooked frozen broccoli. Toss together again.

Serve over steamed rice.

Serves 4 - 6 adults

No comments:

Post a Comment