Background

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beef Enchiladas Made Easy

Last night as I was rummaging through my refrigerator unsure what I was going to make with the leftovers,
I suddenly thought...tacos or something of the sort. Okay I have taco meat, a few corn tortillas, cheese and Spanish rice. I did not want the plain old tacos I had had earlier in the week so I had to be creative. I threw these things together, with a few other ingredients and here is what I came up with.


Beef Enchiladas Made Easy
Transmuting leftovers into something yummy

Sauce
1 1/2 T Butter
1 T Cornstarch
1 1/2 cups milk
1 T dehydrated onions
1 t ground cumin
1/2 cup grated cheese
Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Sprinkle in the cornstarch. Stir in well. Slowly add the milk, cumin and dehydrated onions. Stir until thickened. If needed, add a little more cornstarch (mixed with enough water to make a paste). Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat.

Meat mix
1/3 pound leftover taco meat
1 cup Spanish rice, pre-cooked
Mix together in a small bowl.

6 small corn tortillas
1 cup grated cheese

Preheat oven to 425. Grease an 8inch pan (I used 5 X 8 inch Pyrex dish). Put a small amount of the sauce on the bottom of the pan, just enough to coat. Then put 2 tortillas down in sauce. (I ripped one in half, so that the 'flat' sides could touch the shorter edges and the whole one in middle between the 2 halves.) Put about half of the meat mixture on top of these. Then add a sprinkle of the cheese (about 1/4 cup). Drizzle some sauce over the top. Now layer 2 more tortillas (I put them the other direction now; ripped them both in half-and put the flat sides against the longside of the pan). Repeat with the other half of the meat mix and 1/4 cup cheese. Do NOT add sauce this time around. Take the other tortillas and put them on however you want. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Now pour the rest of the sauce over top the whole thing. Cover with with foil. Bake 20minutes covered (should be bubbling). Remover cover and bake another 5 - more bubbles and slightly browned.
Enjoy with your favorite taco toppings or on its own.
Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment