Background

Sunday, May 22, 2011

(Almost) The World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you like crisp, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip cookies, you have come to right place. I found this recipe while thumbing through one of my dear mother-in-law's cookbooks. It is my 2nd favorite recipe for these yummy cookies (2nd place because my grandma's were the best. I never got her recipe before she died. I love you Grandma!) It is hard just to single the batch. I have both tripled it and 8x it. Great results both times! Even though my husband likes his cookies chewy, he likes these too.

Chocolate Chip Icebox Cookies
Just refrigerate (longer the better) in logs until ready to make then slice and bake....mmm

3 T butter, softened
2 T shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 t vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (I just add extra chocolate chips because I am allergic to nuts)

In a small bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips and pecans. Shape into a 9-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Yield: 20 cookies (when I tripled the recipe I got only 36 cookies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment