Background

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas Is Coming

I love this time of year...all the yummy tastes and smells constantly lingering in the kitchen. Even though I did not try these, they look/smell awesome. Last week I made gingerbread children cupcakes for BAP's 1st grade class. I had to make this recipe twice to get enough for his class (there is 22 kids)--since I only have 12 molds for the men.  I took them to school and then the kids could decorate to their heart's content. I just supplied the gingerbread cakes, red hots, chocolate chips, mini gumdrops, etc.

Frosted Gingerbread Cupcakes
adapted from: http://tidymom.net/2011/gingerbread-cupcakes/


Cakes
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 T ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/8 t ground cloves
1/2 cup boiling water (mixed with 1/2 T baking soda)

Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/8 vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (used to thin out frosting, so I just used milk)

In your large mixing bowl whisk together oil, sugar molasses and egg. In a measuring cup flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves.  Slowly add to sugar mixture. Next whisk in water and soda (still hot). Using 1/4 cup measuring cup that is well greased, add to 12 greased muffin tin wells (or use liners). I actually used this cute cupcake tin Mom gave me several years ago. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Invert on to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the frosting cream together butter, shortening, sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon.  Slowly add powdered sugar (about 3/4 cup at a time) until thick and gloopy. Drizzle in milk until its at the desired consistency. Spread on to cupcakes. Since I used that tin, I topped the men with raisins for buttons, eyes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment